Saturday, March 13, 2010

CD Review: Candlebox--Into the Sun (Silent Majority Recordings, released 22 July 2008)

First of all, I'm back for real this time. I regret that there are a ton of shows I've seen in the past two years that probably won't get their due review... but I guess sometimes life takes us in directions we don't expect, and we become distracted from things we started. Nonetheless, I've been re-inspired, and would like to share some of the gems I've found recently.

On to Candlebox. Remember these guys from the early-mid 1990's? Like many of you probably, I figured they shared a similar fate to many of the bands from that time. Creative differences... lust for the spotlight/money... drugs... whatever the cause of death, I figured they had broken up and died somehow. Apparently they did go through a bit of a hiatus, and then they came back with a vengeance.

I admit that I am not that well-versed in their early stuff. I know some of their stand-out hits that got played on the radio a lot ("Far Behind," "You"), but I don't own any of their older albums and could only make superficial remarks about their sound. When I heard they were touring in 2008, I had to see what it was all about. I expected some tired, washed-up individuals just looking to hold on to a former life... BOY was I surprised. I was blown away by what I saw live, and immediately went out and bought the new album they were supporting with that tour.

Kevin Martin's voice is pyrotechnical. He has an impressive range and can hit notes in the stratosphere without screaming. He can also scream without it grating on the listener. His lyrics are raw, and he is able to deliver the emotional nature of them even in the studio. He goes from pissed off ("Stand," "How Does It Feel") to sentimental ("Miss You," "Consider Us") and somehow stays genuine throughout.

They've never been known for incredibly intricate guitar work, however Peter Klett has a keen ability to create riffs and solos that fit the atmosphere without being overbearing. He is given the opportunity to show what he can do in an extended intro to the ballad "Breathe Me In," and it's impressive. He blends when he needs to, and he shows off when there is space. The tone of his work is beautiful, which is especially important in the slower, more emotional songs. At the same time, he finds the grit he needs to pull off the rawness and anger in some of the others.

I'm a fan of interesting melodies--moments where songs take an unexpected turn. Melodically, I think the title track is one of the best. I'm always impressed when bands can put together chords and progressions that most people would not have thought of. If I find myself being able to predict the melody of a song when I've never heard it before, I'm oddly disappointed. For car-singing purposes, "Into the Sun" was a difficult one to master at first due to it's odd progressions, however as a listener, that's the type of creativity that keeps me interested.

You may have heard "Miss You" on the radio. I have not yet, but I know it's out there. I also know that, while the song was written by Kevin about losing his father, there is a connection to missing loved ones who are overseas fighting for our country. Candlebox released a music video of this song which is based around soldiers leaving home and coming back. It's available on YouTube, and I highly recommend you take a look.

This album has surprisingly become one of my favorite go-to's. I just don't get tired of it for some reason. I never thought I'd be chasing after a band who seemed to be well over their prime. Now that I've gone back to listen to their older albums, I've learned that they were always decent, and they have matured and developed into a band that has quite a lot of depth. I'll for sure be watching for the next time they're in town and I can't wait to see what happens when they get back in the studio.

Track Listing:
1. Stand
2. Bitches Brewin'
3. Surrender
4. Into the Sun
5. Underneath It All
6. Miss You
7. How Does It Feel
8. A Kiss Before Dying
9. Breathe Me In (Intro)
10. Breathe Me In
11. Lover Come Back to Me
12. Consider Us
13. The Answer (iTunes Bonus Track)

1 comment:

MUSICWORLD - by Wilson Alexandre said...

Hi Jessica, How are you?

I hope that's all right and fine.

I'm Brazilian Rock DJ since 1971, and music is my life too!

Into the Sun - Candlebox is the best album that I have listened at last 20 years, of course!

Jessica, if you want to know myself I'm in Orkut as:

Wilson Alexandre FUNDADOR - FOFINHO ROCK CLUB

or

wilsomalex@hotmail.com

I'm president of Brazil's cousin called Lula, and I'm in your orders please!

Many Thanks!