Tuesday, April 26, 2011

CD Review: Breathe Carolina--Hello Fascination (Fearless Records, released 18 August 2009)

Sometimes, I am frustrated by the digital age and how it has affected the production of music. On one hand, it seems like anyone with a computer can become a recording artist these days, regardless of talent. On the other hand, the advances in basic recording software have allowed some truly talented people to create music and bring it to the masses when it would have previously been cost-prohibitive to do so. Such is the case with Breathe Carolina, a duo from Denver. Rumor has it, their first album, It's Classy, Not Classic was created using only the Mac recording program, Garage Band, and without any of the benefits of a studio. Pretty cool.

This album is their second, and it was recorded in a studio. It's a bit difficult to describe the style of the album, as they make use of several different styles throughout. If there is such thing as a rock-dance-pop-electronica-hardcore band, this is it. Most of their use of technology creates a poppy-dancey feel that you don't normally experience in typical rock music. At the same time, one of their vocalists, Kyle Even, uses different pitches of screaming in several of the tracks, which is an element you don't normally experience in typical pop music. I am not generally a huge fan of scream vocals, however, the way the screaming is mixed with the clean vocals of David Schmitt is interesting.

The opening track to this album, "Hello Fascination," is incredibly catchy and certainly lends itself to dancing. It's upbeat enough that I think my mother would like it, and then there is the screaming to attract the more hardcore-type fans. "Welcome to Savannah" sounds more like a mainstream rock song until the crazy electronic breakdown in the middle. Some others, like "Dressed Up to Undress," "Tripped and Fell in Portland," and "Can I Take You Home?" blend into the background for me as a typical dance club soundtrack, and then there's "Rescue," which is almost ballad-like.

I love the fact that these guys are making music without relying on crazy-expensive tools. I love the fact that they are throwing the rules out the window and mixing styles many wouldn't have thought to mix. I love that they're from Denver (and in my opinion, quite a bit more talented than some of the Denver bands who have hit it big in the last few years). I think they already have a spark of originality that many newer bands have difficult finding, and I think they are going to continue to evolve into an extremely cool act that music-lovers should pay attention to. I have not seen them perform live, which is sort of a litmus test to me for how much raw talent a band really has, however I have heard that their live shows do their recording justice. They apparently bring three or four touring musicians with them so that they are able to create their studio magic with real instruments on stage.

I'm excited to hear more, and I hope more people in Denver (including the folks at 93.3) get to know them so that they can start experiencing the level of success I believe they deserve. Check them out if you want something catchy and fun, yet a little bit different.

Track Listing:

1. Hello Fascination
2. I'm the Type of Person to Take it Personally
3. Take Me to Infinity
4. Dressed Up to Undress
5. I.D.G.A.F.
6. Welcome to Savannah
7. I Have to go Return Some Videotapes
8. The Dressing Room
9. Tripped and Fell in Portland
10. Can I Take You Home?
11. My Obsession
12. Velvet
13. Rescue

No comments: