Monday, March 12, 2007

CD Review: Matchbook Romance--Stories & Alibis (Epitaph Records, released 23 September 2003)

I have to pay this tribute to Matchbook Romance today, as they have officially announced their split and "indefinite hiatus." Now, I know that plenty of bands have said that in the past, only to get back together a week later, but knowing that Matchbook has already lost guitarist Ryan Depaolo, I'm sure they are going to be gone for a long while, maybe even forever. Sad news--they were such a promising band and in my opinion, never completely got the respect they deserved. So here's to them as we go back in time to their first full-length studio release.

Stories & Alibis is one of the better debut albums I've ever heard. Here's a band that fits neatly into the alternative/punk/emo genre, yet completely defies all stereotypes and expectations. The lyrics on all the tracks are powerful, whether they are conveying sadness, anger, or in the case of "If All Else Fails," hope and happiness. Every emotion is clearly and genuinely expressed. Not only is their writing fantastic, but their music is so much more technically advanced than just about anything I've heard come from a band like them. Their ability to harmonize and navigate difficult time signatures is a pleasant contrast to the typical simplicity of most groups. Don't get me wrong--I think simplicity definitely has its merits, and sometimes less really is more, but if complexity can be well-executed, it is such a mark of musicianship--something that is often missing from modern music.

The highlight of the CD is the upbeat power-ballad "Promise," a song that could be about something as light as teen romance or as heavy as suicide. The lyrics can be interpreted however you see fit. I had the fortunate experience of seeing them on the Take Action Tour in 2006, and they (very appropriately) closed their set with this song. I've seen crowds go crazy before and haven't necessarily felt moved one oway or another, but when they broke out with "Promise," there was just this amazing vibe in the room--I would go so far as to say that the emotional energy was palpable, and I'm sure I'll never forget what it felt like to be there.

"Stay Tonight," "Tiger Lily," and "She'll Never Understand" all have some really cool harmonies on them. They really have an ear for putting together some interesting lines. Some of them are even challenging to sing along with because they are so unpredictable. I love it when music is a surprise. "Shadows Like Statues" and "The Greatest Fall of All Time" showcase Aaron Stern's drumming ability and his uncanny knack for rhythm. Not only is he incredibly technical and precise, he just has an ear for interesting time patterns, which also adds to the element of surprise in their music. On a side note, he is also one of my favorite drummers to watch--I'm hoping that he has great success beyond Matchbook Romance.

We are all fortunate that they stayed together long enough to put out a second full-length album called Voices. I really like that one also for different reasons. They evolved a surprising amount in the three years between albums, but definitely did not lose either their originality or their talent. I'll write about that one at a later date I'm sure.

Hopefully we will hear more from them sometime in the future--even after Ryan left the band, they reported sill working on more new material. Hard to say if they ever got enough together to eventually release it--I guess we'll just have to keep our eyes and ears open. I'm sorry if you never got the opportunity to see them live--they are truly incredible in concert, but the next best thing you can do is check out their music. I think you'll be surprised and impressed.

Track Listing:
1. Introduction
2. Your Stories, My Alibis
3. Playing for Keeps
4. Promise
5. Lovers and Liars
6. Tiger Lily
7. Shadows Like Statues
8. My Eyes Burn
9. She'll Never Understand
10. If All Else Fails
11. Stay Tonight
12. The Greatest Fall (of All Time)
13. Untitled (Bonus Track)

No comments: