Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Rockapella, 22 March 2007 (Strathmore Music Center, Bethesda, MD)

I was lucky to be in town visiting my parents when I was, because Rockapella happened to be singing in the area, and it's been over a year since I last saw them. They have been such an inspiration to me, both musically and personally, that I really try to see them and support them whenever I can. I'm glad I had the chance--the show was phenomenal, as expected.

First of all, a note about the Strathmore. They started building it in 2005, right about when I first bought my condo in nearby Rockville. I knew it was going to be a fine arts center, but it turned out to be one of the nicest halls I've ever been in. It's not terribly huge--it holds about 2000, but the architechture and the interior are both amazing. The acoustics in the concert hall were unparalleled, and for a Rockapella show, acoustics are key. Granted, I was sitting in about the 10th row, but my parents, who were significantly further back than me, said that they could hear everything as clearly as if they were in the front. I wish I'd had more opportunities to go to the Strathmore when I lived there--I would love to see a full symphony orchestra perform there. I imagine it would blow the crowd right out of the room.

Anyway, back to Rockapella. As their name suggests, they are a vocal group--as in no instruments, drums, or drum machines. A cappella music is a truly unique art, and it's not for everyone. That being said, I think Rockapella does an amazing job of performing a variety of styles. There's something for everyone in their music. Plus, I think it would be impossible to see what they do in person and not be impressed. Jeff Thatcher, their vocal percussionist is an act completely on his own. You may have also heard them, even if you don't realize you have. If you remember the children's game show "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" from the early '90s, then you will remember Rockapella performing the theme song (and random skits) during every episode. They also recorded a very famous Folger's Coffee commercial in the late '90s, which got a lot of radio airplay and was even on TV for a while. Their lineup has changed, but the concept remains.

They opened the show with a few of their newer songs, which, to my knowledge, have not been recorded in the studio yet. I don't know the names of them, but I can tell you they are much more upbeat and rock-like than most of the stuff they've been doing lately. Their new(ish) baritone, John Brown, is a dancer and a motown fanatic. His influence is immediately apparent in these newer songs, and I love it. I've never seen these guys have so much energy and get so funky on stage. I wish I knew the songs better, but they sure are giving off great vibes. I can't wait until they can get in the studio for a bit.

They showcased some new material, but also pulled some great ones out of the vault for us. I was thrilled to hear "People Change," as it's not one they do very often. I still think Scott Leonard has possibly the most incredible voice I've ever heard, and he oozes with emotion every time he sings that one. George showed off his butter-like bass smoothness in his rendition of "Papa Was a Rolling Stone," which always gets the crowd excited, and we got to hear John belt out a beautiful version of "Stand By Me." Kevin's shining moment was in a beautiful new ballad called "California Sad Eyed Girl," and then they followed that with "Lazy River," another one that rarely comes out on stage. We got an off-mic treat at the end, and with the acoustics in that hall, they were every bit as audible as they were with microphones--even at one point when Scott turned around to face the people sitting behind the stage. They encored with "Zombie Jamboree," which still, to this day, makes me laugh.

The crowd was a mix of fans and season ticket holders--and they had mixed opinions about the show. Most everything I heard was positive, though, and I believe Rockapella will be performing at the Strathmore in the future. I stuck around afterwards just to say hi, as it's nice to chat for a few minutes after not seeing them for so long. They told me they'd be out in Colorado sometime this summer, so I'll be looking forward to that. If you ever get the chance, you should definitely see them. Even if you're not into the music, you can't deny the talent.

No comments: