Friday, March 2, 2007

Rockstar Taste of Chaos Tour, 27 February 2007 (Universtiy of Denver)

It's really too bad I didn't take notes or anything at this show--I got the idea to begin these reviews the day after the show, so I have no setlists or anything. The best I can do is describe the night and give an overview of all the bands that played. Next time before going to a multi-band show like that, I'll have to do some research ahead of time and learn what some of their songs are. Anyway...

The first band to play was a group from Turlock, California called evaline (www.myspace.com/evaline). I thought they did a great job of warming up our ears for what was to come. They had a lot of energy (especially their lead singer, Richard Jonathan Perry, who jumped off the stage several times and also danced on his keyboard...) and they had a lot of volume. I liked the fact that they experimented with different instruments--they use a keyboard, and an electric cello--different instruments always have a tendency to make a band stand out. At the same time, I had a hard time deciphering the different parts of their songs. I don't know if it was just because they were the first band to play (I think going first is always tough because people are not necessarily "ready" to listen and pay attention... myself included) or if it was because there is simply just too much going on there. I guess the word I'm looking for is "disorganized." Regardless, they are all very young and I think they are probably in the process of figuring out exactly what their style is. I think they're going to do very well, and they couldn't have been on a better tour--big names involved--lots of exposure.

Next up was Aiden from Seattle, Washington (www.aiden.org). I had heard of them but had never actually heard any of their songs. All I knew about them was that they had sort of a Goth-influence, so I was expecting something along the lines of Marilyn Manson, which is not at all what I got. They were more along the lines of My Chemical Romance (although they probably hate the comparison). I was actually very impressed with both their music and their performance. One of my favorite people to watch in any band is the drummer--I guess it's mainly because I don't play the drums but always wanted to. I'm always very interested in the different styles they have and subsequently blown away at their abilities to use all four limbs simultaneously--each one on a different beat. In Aiden's case, Jake Davison is very technically solid and just generally fun to watch. He's energetic without being spastic and is the driving force behind the punk quality their music has. I've also become very interested in watching bass players--I never used to pay attention to them, so I've decided to start. Bassist Nick Wiggins is probably the most hyperactive member of the band--he was jumping off amps and flipping his bass around his back. It's a pretty cool trick if you've never seen it. To be honest, the acoustics in the hall were not that great (especially from where I was sitting), so it was hard to pick out his part, but he was fun to watch if nothing else. The guy who brought the house down, though, was the lead singer, wiL Francis. He has a powerful voice and had no problem singing over the band (which is surprising, because they can generate some volume). What was so funny/interesting, was that he had complete control of the room throughout their entire show. If he said to do something, the crowd did it. Everyone in the room was standing at his demand, and the folks on the floor created one of the biggest mosh pits I've ever seen (later I found out that this is a staple in every Aiden show and they call it the "wall of death"). He asked for crowd surfing and instantly got it. I would easily go see them again just based on their showmanship skills alone. I am going to make a concerted effort to check out their studio recordings so I can make sense of what I heard. I liked all of their set and just want to know more about them.

Chiodos from Davison, Michigan (www.chiodos.net) came on next, which confused me since I didn't know they were even on the tour. For some reason, I either just didn't read their name or it wasn't listed in places where I looked. I had read that they were a hardcore band, so it was a little funny when they all came out and were dressed like frat boys. Seriously--Craig Owens (lead singer) who can really scream--was wearing a polo shirt. It was bizarre. Anyway, like with evaline, I just had a really tough time understanding their songs. I think a lot of it was the sound system (it felt like it was up too high for most of the show, which caused some pretty scary feedback on the vocal mics, not to mention a general "fuzzing out" of the rhythm sections)--I also think a lot of it was just that I don't know any of their songs. I will say that they had a ton of energy, and most of the crowd seemed to be pretty die-hard fans. I really enjoyed the use of the piano--I wish I knew the guy's name, but he is very skilled. It's unusual to hear a classical piano sound in the midst of screamo and hardcore rock. Craig really reminds me of Adam Lazzara from Taking Back Sunday--he's very adept at swinging the mic, and he dances around just like Adam. Fun to watch, for sure. I think it was in the middle of their set when I realized I was getting tired. I need to check out their stuff so I can sort through all of it. I think if I have a chance to listen to them in the studio, then I will enjoy their shows more.

The show I was looking forward to began when Saosin came on (www.saosin.com). I heard them once by accident and was very taken aback by what i heard. I noticed the drummer's sound first because he is incredibly precise. It's rare to hear double kicks and 32nd and 64th notes that are so clean--especially in a rock band. Then I heard Cove Reber sing, and I was hooked. He can hit notes up in the stratosphere as if it's nothing. I had to hear them live to see how much of it was real and how much of it was studio magic. Good news, folks, it's all the real thing. Not only did Cove not miss a single note, but the two guitarists and the bassist provided backup harmonies that were actually quite complex. At times, there were four of them singing at once. I'm so used to hearing bands harmonize in the studio and not be able to do it live due to overdubbing and things like that, so this was a real treat. They played the big songs off of their latest album (although I was very sad not to hear "You're Not Alone") and generally put on a great show. They are really starting to make a name for themselves, and I can't wait to see what they do as they gain experience and noteriety. They've already started off as such a promising act to make it big.

Senses Fail came on next and gave a stellar performance (www.sensesfail.com). I've had limited exposure to their music and on a very superficial level, I've always liked their stuff. It was nice to hear it live and to recognize some of the songs. Buddy Nielsen (lead singer) can really work a crowd (and swing a microphone). While the sound quality was not the best, there were still some great moments in their set. Heath Saraceno's guitar solos really shined and it was very obvious how well he and Garrett (the other guitarist) work together. There were times when both of them were playing lead in a very Allman Brothers-like fashion. It's nice to hear some old-fashioned wailing on the guitar in the hardcore/emo/punk genre--it's much more common to just hear loud and fast power chords. The highlight of their set was definitely their finale of "The Priest and the Matador." That song was already my favorite from their new album, and it was unbelievable live. Oddly enough, the less-than-perfect sound quality actually contributed to the atmosphere of the song. It fuzzed up the bassline a little and just kind of made the song float. The crowd was really energized at this point and the band just fed off of it. Even though I was totally wiped out, I was ready for more.

I could be crazy, but I think 30 Seconds to Mars (www.thirtysecondstomars.com) really digs Denver. I saw them only a few months ago and Jared kept talking about how much he loves Colorado. It could be that he just wants to fire the crowd up, but then again, they've played better and better every time I've seen them. They took a pretty long time to set up, but that's not much of a surprise--they've always had a flair for the dramatic. They came out on the side of the hall about 10 feet from where I was sitting. I was a little pissed because I'd been standing right where they entered, but then an usher made me go back to my seat. Oh well--i probably would have been just in the way enough for them to knock me over or something stupid. All for the best. They played songs off of "A Beautiful Lie" and pretty much nailed every one of them. Jared really likes to hear the crowd sing--we may have done more singing than him. Normally I don't like that because I'd honestly rather hear the band sing it, but for some reason, I enjoy it during their shows. Maybe it's because I actually know the words? On a side note, I had no idea that Matt Wachter played the keyboards in addition to the bass. I guess I've just never been at the right angle to see it. That explains where some of their sound comes from. On another side note, I had heard that Jared was really sick (coughing up blood and what not) but it really didn't show at all. He was extremely interactive and seemed to be enjoying himself. Shannon was an animal as usual, although he did attempt a very cool stick-flipping trick and then dropped it. I was at the perfect vantage point to see his drum tech fumble to pick up the stick and then trip off the platform. I don't wish mistakes on anyone, but little bobbles like that during live shows are cool because it just makes everyone up there seem more human. All in all, I thought they sounded really good. They turned the volume down a little for them, and their songs just seemed to come out clearer than everyone else's. As always, they ended with their dramatic "march to the merch booth" for signings. Next time I see them, I am determined to talk to them afterwards and ask them what that bizarre hand signal they always make us do is. Oh, and I would like to call them "crazy motherfuckers." Because that's what they always call us.

Finally, The Used (www.theused.net) came on and I have to admit I was ready to leave. I really wanted to see The Used, but I was exhausted, especially after yelling all of the 30STM songs. I did get to see most of their set, but not all of it. They had some pretty intense lighting--almost seizure-worthy at times. By the time they came on, I was pretty out of it, but I did happen to notice that Jeph Howard is a pretty awesome bassist. He uses a Fender Precision (which you don't see that often in newer bands for some reason) and he actually finger-plucks everything. I personally think that delivers a more well-rounded sound and I think you can typically get more intricate lines out of it... but that's just my opinion. They played a couple of new songs, one of which I understood as "Handsome Awkward," which I liked a lot. I thought their last album was great, so I'm looking forward to checking out this next one. Hopefully the next chance I get to see them, it won't be after nearly six hours of opening bands. I love festivals for the variety and for the "killing lots of birds with one stone" effect, but they wear me out like crazy.

It was a great (albeit long) night, and now I've got some bands I need to look deeper into and get to know better. This means that there will be some album reviews coming up...

Stay tuned.

No comments: